I’ve been working on the perfect trail bar on and off for years, one that has a no nut and no nut-butter option. No gluten, no refined sugar, just the right crunch and chew, and no banana (personal preference). Friends… HERE IT IS! If you have a scale, use it and follow the weight measurements.
DRY NUT AND SEED MIXTURE
• 1 1/2 cup / 170 grams gluten free large flake oats
• 1/2 cup / 85 grams raw almonds
• 2 tbsp / 30 grams raw sunflower seeds
• 2 tbsp / 25 grams raw pumpkin seeds
• 2 tbsp / 25 grams raw sesame seeds
• 1/4 cup / 40 grams dried, sugar free, cranberries
• 4 medjool dates, pitted
• 3 tbsp / 25 grams coconut flakes
• 2 tbsp / 20 grams chia seeds
• 2 tbsp / 25 grams hemp hearts
• 2 tbsp / 20 grams whole (or ground) flax seed
• 1 tbsp / 10 grams poppy seeds
• 1 1/2 cups / 35 grams puffed quinoa
• 1/4 tsp flaked sea salt (I use maldon salt)
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp / 175 grams tahini
• 1/2 cup / 165 grams raw honey
• 2 tbsp / 25-30 grams coconut oil
Dr. Jodi’s Clean Eating Notes
AA multivitamin packed full of good fats for your mood, high protein to keep you energized, fiber to keep your digestion moving and calcium for a boost because we all know how important that is for our sleep and bones!
- Preheat oven to 325˚F, line a cookie sheet with parchment. Also line a square brownie pan (8×8 or 9×9) with parchment, overhanging on all sides.
- Place the oats and almonds on the cookie sheet. Place them in the oven for 5 minutes, remove and add the sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds to the tray (don’t mix them, keep them separate) and cook for another 10 minutes (so that the oats and almonds have a total of 15 minutes).
- Let them cool a bit, then put them in the food processor with the dates and cranberries, pulse them a few times so that everything gets chopped a little, remove to a large bowl. Add the remainder of the Dry Nut and Seed Mixture ingredients to the bowl, mix well.
- In a small pot, melt together on med-low the wet ingredients, whisking to make it smooth, about 4-5 minutes, it does not need to boil.
- Pour the hot tahini mixture over the nut and seed mixture and using gloved hands and a spatula, mix the hot tahini mixture into the nut and seed mixture until it is uniform. Pour the mixture into prepared brownie pan and press it firmly into the pan. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up. Lift the parchment/bars out of the pan and cut into 25-30 squares or bars.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes 30 bars
NUT + SEED OPTION: You can omit the almonds for a nutfree option, just replace with the same volume of something else. Same with any of the other ingredients you don’t have or like, just replace with the same volume.