General Tso’s Chicken The Healthy Way with brown rice, broccoli and enoki mushrooms Usually General Tso’s chicken is deep fried and loaded with unhealthy sodium, sugar and fat. This is a clean version that you can feel good about serving to your family.
1 cup brown rice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 head broccoli, broken into small florets
1 package of enoki mushrooms, bottom removed and mushrooms broken apart a little
For the Chicken
2-3 chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
3 tbsp. coconut aminos* or low sodium tamari
Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
1 tsp. dark sesame oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup
5 tbsp. cornstarch
3-4 tbsp. grapeseed oil, divided
1 bunch of green onions, cut into 3-4 inch segments
10 dried whole red chilies
For the Sauce
2 tsp. dark sesame oil
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. unsweetened brown rice vinegar
2 tbsp. coconut sugar
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. coconut aminos or low sodium tamari
2 tbsp. water
- Cook the brown rice according to the package or your rice cooker instructions.
- For the Chicken In a medium size bowl mix together the cut up chicken with the coconut aminos, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and maple syrup. Marinate for 1 hour at room temp or all day (even overnight) in the fridge. Bring to room temp for 1 hour before cooking.
- For the Sauce Using a whisk, mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup. Leave the whisk in there, you will need to stir up the cornstarch again before using it.
- Drain the chicken, put it in a zip top bag and toss the cornstarch into it, make sure all the pieces are coated evenly, shale off excess. Heat a wok or heavy fry pan over high heat. Add about 3 tbsp. of the grapeseed oil, let heat until shimmering. Add the chicken to the hot oil, toss and let the chicken brown on the first side, toss again and continue to let the chicken brown all over, this will take about 6-7 minutes, remove from the pan.
- Add a little more grapeseed oil, add the green onion and whole chillies, toss until the green onion have darkened in spots. Add the sauce, let it bubble, add the chicken back to the pan, toss for 1-2 minutes, remove the chicken and green onions/chilies to a serving dish.
- Add a last little bit of oil to the pan and add the garlic to the pan, cook for a minute or so. Add the broccoli to the pan, toss, add about ¼ cup water, tossing continuously for about 3-4 minutes, the pan will dry out a little. Add the enoki mushrooms, toss with the broccoli and break them up while tossing. Cook until the mushrooms have wilted. Add the veggies to the serving dish with the chicken and serve with brown rice.
*coconut aminos is a soy-free replacement for tamari or soy sauce. It is gluten free and sugar free and all delicious!